Saturday 26 November 2011

Studio Pottery

We've been in our new house for a month now and we are still unpacking boxes. I found a box full of some of my favourite pottery that I thought I would show you. Over the years I have aquired quite an eclectic collection.
I used to be a decorator for Colin Kellam, a master potter whose studio is here in Totnes, so I have a number of seconds, mostly decorated with his iconic chickens and ducks.
I am also near the world renowned Dart Pottery and love Janice Tchalenko's vibrant decoration. The pottery shop was on the cycle path through the woods from Dartington to Totnes and there was many a time I found myself cycling home with a bowl or vase, suspended precariously in a bag from the handle bars. I never broke a piece in transit!
Then there are the pieces many of which I cannot attribute to their creator because they were given as presents or I found in a charity shop. The teapot, used daily, was from one such establishment and the blue-green lidded pot was a present from a friend and talented potter called Melon. (Where are you now?) And of course I cannot ignore the treasures created by my boys, the piece I decided to show you is Arthur's 'Arctic Man' made at his school which has a brilliant art department.

No comments:

Post a Comment