Wednesday 28 March 2012

Another cheater quilt

Having been intrigued by the 'cheater quilt' as an idea (a 'cheater quilt' is a quilt top in one large piece ready to add batting and a back, which, once sewn up has the look of a patchwork and applique design), I had designed one with 'robots' as it's main motif so I wanted to create another one with a more traditional theme. Talk about one extreme to the other!

I have a lovely book called 'Folk Art Motifs of Pennsylvania' by Frances Litchen. I found it in a charity shop (thrift shop) for pennies and it gave me the starting point I was looking for. This design is most definately not a traditional Pennsylvanian Dutch quilt design from the eighteenth or nineteenth century, but it is the inspiration. The colours are my favourite jewel colours and much more 21st century. I hope I have complemented the traditions of the quilters and can make people smile.

I will be sampling it from Spoonflower soon, and then I'll make it up and show you when all is sewn up and finished, then hopefully you will be able to buy it.

Edit - I've not made the quilt yet but I thought you might like to see the fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment