Friday 13 April 2012

The Magic Garden

With my brother and his family down for Easter a visit to the 'Magic Garden' (aka Dartington Hall Gardens but re named by my smallest son!) was called for because the amazing Magnolia trees are in full bloom at this time of year and are quite incredible in these beautiful gardens that include spring meadows , a medieval tilt yard, ancient trees and some beautiful sculptures.
 I love the big heavy waxiness of the flowers.
 The Magnolia is an ancient species with the ancestors of these trees existing when dinosaurs roamed the earth. We had sun and hail with the dark clouds adding to the ethereal atmosphere these trees create as they line a long series of steps

 With their low spreading moss covered branches these tree are asking to embrace you.
 I  find myself amazed by the other worldliness of Magnolias every year. It is just a shame the blooms last for such a short time. But aren't they gorgeous!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, they are gorgeous. I am glad you had a good day and it wasn't ruined by the ominous looking dark clouds.

    ReplyDelete